Thursday, September 13, 2007

Some day in the far-off, distant future...

I now have three blogs, one on LJ, one on WordPress, and a new one I just set up on Blogger. In addition to that, I have a page on Author's Den (which I really need to do more with), a page on MySpace (which I can't figure out and don't like to use because my Internet security program keeps popping up and flashing little warning signs at me about it being a "dangerous" site), and a page on Gather (also which I really need to pay more attention to). Plus, I'm signed up to post on the 20th of every month on the Twilight Fantasies Blog (one of my publishers), which shouldn't be too much of a chore since I can probably use one of my posts from one of my many blogs. I also have a page on several Yahoo romance sites which I rarely, if ever, do anything with. Last, but not least, I'm trying to re-vamp my web site and learn the ins and outs of creating and maintaining a successful small business on the Internet--and don't let anyone tell you that being an author isn't a business. I think any author you talk to, will back me up on that one!

I don't plan on keeping all the blogs, I'm just trying them out and when I find the one I'm most comfortable with, that's the one I'll keep. MySpace is out for me, because I get a serious case of the heebie-jeebies every time I log on to that one. AD, Gather, and the various romance sites on Yahoo, I'll keep because I think they'll be valuable--at some point--for promoting my books.

Which brings me to my point in all this; with my second book coming out in less than a week, I know I need to be promoting, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. All this is taking a major chunk of my time and I haven't written more than a couple hundred words all week. So, where do you draw the line between promotion and writing? I don't have a clue, but I think it's something every author must figure out for herself.

Since this is only my second book, I'm telling myself not to agonize over it too much, just do what you can and hopefully, as I gain more experience, it will get easier. Maybe, some day in the far-off, distant future, I'll get the hang of all this and then I'll not only be a multi-published author, but I'll also be an efficient and productive promoter!

Only time will tell.

No comments: